A new twist: FAA to limit ADS-B/FIS B (traffic) in 2016

This just in, from my friend Walt Aronow, owner of EXP Aircraft Services in the Dallas area: (As posted on the VAF forum.)

According to the FAA website if your system does not meet the GPS perfomance parameters below then you will no longer be able to receive ADS-B services after 2016.

So for those of you on the fence about equipping with a position source meeting these minimum performance requirements (which experimental EFIS GPS's do not) this may be some "incentive" to rethink that (bottom line is you will lose traffic services for those broadcasting with a non-certified GPS position sources)

Quote from the FAA site:
"However, beginning on January 4, 2016, the following criteria must also be satisfied in order to receive ADS-B IN services: Broadcast ADS-B with NACp>4, NACv>0, SDA>0, SIL>0, and NIC>4."

This is a bizarre twist, as the FAA recently announced that non-certified GPS would be okay in legal ADS-B installations in homebuilt aircraft.

Anyone got an inside track on this?

Jay Honeck said:
I'm sure it will all shake out, eventually -- but I'd certainly like to know if I'm compliant, or not.
Whose ADS-B system are you using?

By the way, from the document I linked (NPE are the non-compliant systems) one gets a better idea of how many have opted for the more affordable "non-compliant" route - rather than continue exposing themselves to a risk that can be mitigated now rather than later:

"The aviation community has realized that uncertified ADS-B devices that broadcast ADS-B Out with NACp/NACv/SDA=01 will receive the FAA TIS-B/ADS-R services (aka, “activate TIS-B/ADS-R client status”), and evidence exists that over 500 aircraft are doing so."

"Based on FAA monitoring data, it appears that 15% to 40% of the aircraft equipped with ADS-B V2 are broadcasting as NPEs to activate TIS-B/ADS-R client status for themselves, but in doing so are not displayed on TSO-compliant ADS-B-In systems."

(I do not expect the old C-152s or C-172s I rent to ever have certified ADS-B installed in them ... unless the price comes down to the prices being asked by the "non-compliant" system makers.)

Back