172 Guy Goes Cirrus...and now back to 172?

VWGhiaBob

Since resuming flying, I've been trying to figure out where to "land", planewise that is. I started with Cessna 172, then moved "up" to Cirrus SR20 and SR22.

Tonight, I jumped back in the Cessna, and remembered how easy it is to fly and how wonderful it handles in the air. Now I'm more confused than ever!

My other impressions (some controversial) are below. Would love to hear from others!

Airplane - Pilot "Feel": Cirrus 3, Cessna 10. I can't help but wonder now if the many "loss of control" Cirrus accidents are caused by zero feedback to the yoke. A Cessna tells you how it feels through touch. The Cirrus feels the same all the time, because the yoke is controlled by springs.

Ease of Control: Cirrus 5, Cessna 10. Tonight's flight in the Cessna reminded me how easy it is to control in the pattern...holding altitude is a no brainer. Just last week, a Cirrus pilot with 1000 Cirrus hours landed too fast (like Southwest), stripped the nose gear off and had a major prop strike. The Cirrus is extremely sensitive to speeds and everything else.

Parachute Safety: Cirrus 10, Cessna 10. Why 10 for the Cessna? Simple: The same chute (BRS) that's in a Cirrus can be put in a Cessna for under $15K.

Visibility: Cirrus 8, Cessna 8. The Cessna gives a better view for pilot and passengers, but blocks the runway view on turns to final. The Cirrus low wing blocks the view all the time, except on turns to final.

Maintenance Issues: Cirrus ?, Cessna ? I'm not qualified to judge, but I can tell you this: The Cirrus aircraft at my FBO have constant issues that ground them. Maybe it's just their planes, but I suspect not.

Comfort / Looks / Back Seat: Cirrus 10, Cessna 5. Face it, the back seat in a 172 or 182 is not comfy for normal adults over long distance. Even the front seats are small, and the pilot and co-pilot have to get used to rubbing legs. Not so in the Cirrus, which has big seats and a console.

I thought I had "made up my mind" to go Cirrus. Now, I'm not sure. The extra comfort (and a tad higher speed) of a Cirrus may or may not make up for it's faults. And forget the parachute, since the exact same parachute works in a 172 or 182.

Again, would love any other thoughts to help me "land" in the right plane. Next stop: Decide and purchase!

I didn't know that an SR22 had only a tad higher speed than the fastest 172. What are their cruise speeds?

Back