172 vs 177 vs 182

Todd82

For a long time now I've been back and forth about buying my first plane and what to buy. While not trying to start a low wing vs high wing war... I just can't stand 172's. To me they feel less solid than a PA28, and I can't stand the wing strut in my way.

That said, the wife likes high wingers better for sightseeing visibility and doesn't like climbing on the wing to get in, my dad will want to go for rides and I doubt he physically *can* climb on a Piper wing (bad hip), and even I don't really like the idea of only one door on a PA28.

So my questions are...

• Do fixed gear 177's and/or 182's feel a little more "solid" and fly better in the bumps than a 172?
  • Would a low time guy with all his time in about an 80/20 split between Cherokees and Skyhawks be out of his league buying a 177/182?
  • With a budget of let's say < $60k is a 177/182 *worth buying* even a possibility?
  • How much increased mx $ compared to a 172/PA28?
  • I'm guessing for XC's the 182 increased fuel burn would just about wash out with the increased speed?
Mission profile will be VFR (for now) 200-400nm weekend trips, of course $100 hamburgers and local flights for fun, and eventually banging out an IFR. Will probably be basing on 3500' paved with density alts rarely above 3500', although a 3100' grass runway for basing it is also a possibility. Also typically me + wife will be about 380lb. Possibly another dog in the future (we just lost my last buddy) in the 50lb range, and weekend bags. If it's me + some buddies I'd like to have at least 550lb sometimes.

Thanks.

This does sound like a mission for a Cardinal. You can get a fairly serviceable fixed gear for around $40k. A lot of the price depends on engine time. A 69 with a 2500 hour engine is probably worth ~15k, but you will need to immediately overhaul the engine for $25k.

Cardinal Flyers is a great owners group and has a lot of ways to work around the parts issues. If seriously considering buying one, the ~$40 annual membership fee will be the best investment you make. They have a ton of good technical information and pre-buying advice.

cgrab said:
The large doors are great as long as you keep a hand on them and park into the wind. Otherwise, they will get away and may spring the hinges.
That said, alas, we are moving and my plane is for sale....
There is also a door steward available which buffers the door with a piston. Very handy and not terribly expensive.

And there you go - maybe the OP can buy yours.

Ravioli said:
Most worthless product ever invented. The club 177RG ended up with that ugly piece of crap in it because the votes went that way. The guy who proposed it has since apologized for the stupid idea, but the money was still wasted.
Really, you don’t like it? I actually appreciate that the door doesn’t get blown away in a wind and slammed against the hinge. I agree that it is a bit of an ugly solution.

Ravioli said:
And, oh by the way, the damn piston gets in the way of the purpose of those big doors.
How so? I wonder if we are thinking of the same product. Maybe it depends on where it is installed?

Mine is just above where the spring is and I don’t find it gets in the way at all. But I see some images of them mounted above near the top of the door which looks awkward.

Back