$1900 spent training last month- time to buy? How did you decide?

4RNB

How do I know I really ought buy a plane? Just over 11 hours training in October, nearly all dual. I'm starting to solo in circles in the lone C172 available in the area. More people are starting to fly in it, meaning I might have to wait in line. I figure about half the cost last month was for fuel and CFI, fixed cost. Plane owner got the other half. I like flying, my spouse likely will like flying with me, have a potential partner. For the money it seems like ownership starts to make sense. The plan would be to own a similar 172 (as I can't find other trainers to fit me) for 100-200 hours, obtain IFR, and then consider bigger and/or better. A potential partner exists now. Hanger not available for several years so that expense is known for now.

At what point in your training or flying experience did you buy a plane?
Why did you buy the plane?
How did you decide what to buy along the price and quality spectrum?
It seems like reasonable older C172s can be had for 75Kish if one moves very quickly. I've seen some in much better condition younger frames/engines, more modern interior and avionics for 150K.

Thanks

I bought my plane pre-solo. Mostly because I did not like having to deal with the scheduling issues and the personality of the flight school owner. I like being able to go out to my plane with my keys and fly it.

But the downside is that training can be interrupted by maintenance items - especially on older planes that one is likely to initially purchase.

I don’t think it saved me any money or sped up the process. But I definitely enjoyed the freedom of scheduling.

Back