2013 Reno Air Races Summary

I just got back from the Reno Air Races. I was there before and after the event to volunteer (Reno has 1600 volunteers which make the event possible).

While there, my volunteer boss suggested that I work on planes, or try to, since I know many race pilots (from their non-race planes in the Bay Area).

I also volunteer on weekends helping with annual inspections in Petaluma.... but there I usually only turn a screwdriver or two (nothing major).

In Reno I did the following to experimental biplanes and Cassutts:

Waxed the planes

Taped (for more airspeed) the race planes

Pulled a prop (including spinner, torquing prop bolts, installing safety wire etc)

Changed oil (including taking off louvers with nut plates in back)

Chaged a tire (jacks, wood blocks, separating tire from bead, taking off brake calipers and re-safety wiring them)

You get the idea.

Anyhow, this 1-week period of getting dirty and cleaning the belly of planes reminded me of why I joined the EAA.... to help / observe / work on the building of aircraft. This is something I want to do in order to better understand planes and keep my passengers safe.

I will upload pictures soon... I was on the runway, on a race / pitt crew, towed a plane, held down a plane (crew goes on runway with race planes for 10 minutes during run up).

You get the idea.

Anyhow, this 1-week period of getting dirty and cleaning the belly of planes reminded me of why I joined the EAA.... to help / observe / work on the building of aircraft. This is something I want to do in order to better understand planes and keep my passengers safe.
Very cool. I knew you'd have interesting things to report and show. Appreciate you sharing your experiences there!

Back