45th Cirrus CAPS (Parachute) activation in Aus and the best footage caught to date.

RussT

I'm surprised no one has posted about this yet. Happened yesterday in Australia.
awesome awesome video

The 45th CAPS activation and another 3 lives most likely saved. Reason for the pull is still unknown.

Calling all Cirrus pilots to learn about the system and how it's increased use is dramatically reducing the fatals in Cirrus in recent years.

News article about the save:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-10/light-plane-crashes-in-lawson-in-blue-mountains/5444350

Good article for those wishing to learn about CAPS here:
https://www.cirruspilots.org/copa/safety_programs/w/safety_pages/723.cirrus-caps-history.aspx

Safe flying!

Re: 45th Cirrus CAPS (Parachute) activation in Aus and the best footage caught to dat

FastEddieB said:
I routinely fly from Copperhill, TN to Knoxville. Did so yesterday as a matter of fact so Karen could be with a sick friend.

Even angling over towards Tellico Plains (in the distance below), there's a stretch where landing options are few and far between or well nigh nonexistent:
I have a lot of photos of similar terrain with almost no landable terrain that I have to fly over for at least an hour or more if I want to get anywhere east, south, or west.

Re: 45th Cirrus CAPS (Parachute) activation in Aus and the best footage caught to dat

steingar said:
Now, can I think of another way I can spend in excess of ten thousand dollars that would make me a safer pilot? Hell yes! Jebus, just that much flying is going to increase my currency and make me that much better. That's enough to train for an instrument rating, or a tailwheel and seaplane endorsement with some aerobatic training thrown in the mix, and those will make me a much safer pilot than any chute ever will be.
There is a Catch-22 in your analysis. The pilot who is piling on those hours starts at a high risk. You are basically dismissing or ignoring the fatalities of those who don't survive the build-up of currency. It requires a bit of evil cynicism to dismiss use of a safety tool during that period just because the safety tool may be needed less during later periods.

Back