6 place single engine piston fixed gear

numan1

Hi everyone. If there is a classification for less experienced than novice, I'm it. Flying has been a dream of mine for many years, but it has been out of reach until now. After searching many hours (days) without finding what I am looking for, this seemed to be the next step to get some direction. The mission is to fly my family to the Florida Gulf in our own plane in less than 3 hours.

Dallas Bay Sky Park (1A0) is where I will train and depart from. Destinations would be primarily Costin (A51) or Ferguson (82J). Max load for passengers (6) and bags is 1300lbs.

I'm looking to invest $50k or less and need information on models and cost of ownership to complete a budget. A Cherokee 6 was mentioned somewhere in the search thus far. Any feedback on this or any other suggestions is appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help (and patience).

For the OP. If you are just starting out and want to learn about owning aircraft, buy a decent trainer like a 172 or 152 and finish your training it. You can get one for your budget and will recover nearly all of your initial investment when you sell it to buy a faster and bigger plane.

As other have already noted, the plane for that mission is more in the $150k category and if used that infrequently is probably best owned in a club.

numan1 said:
Thanks for the feedback. So, looking like a $50k 6 place single worth having is a unicorn at best. Looks like the rental rate for a local 172N is $120/hr. Would 700lbs + fuel work? 50 gal fuel = 300lbs, me (260lb), wife (140lb), son (150lb), bags (~150lbs)...1000lbs. Maybe somebody needs to leave a bag at home...or two.
You can start your training journey by having a look at the POH for a 172N here

https://www.seaplanescenics.com/documents/c172n-1977-poh.pdf

And computing the weight and balance for that scenario. The Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, available at https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/

has a chapter of weight and balance and how to compute it. Though if you understand levers, the instructions in the POH should suffice. Give it a try and ask questions as needed.

numan1 said:
Thank you, Peter. Max useful 921, baggage allowance 120, 50 gal fuel 300. 1041 total - 300 fuel = 741 passengers, bags, oil

In the POH example on 6-9, Basic Empty Weight includes useable fuel and full oil, and then useable fuel ARM is added below that. It seems to imply useable fuel is added twice. What am I missing?
Good to see you taking your first steps toward becoming a pilot! Basic empty weight includes "UNuseable fuel" and is included in that #1 line on the chart. "unuseable fuel" is the fuel at the very bottom of the tanks that the engine can't burn in flight. The next line is "useable fuel", the part which can be burnt and added by the pilot.

But in this plane, it looks like 43 gals is the maximum allowable useable fuel because of the size of the tanks. This is listed in the specifications for the plane, right near the front. So you may need a fuel stop on the way.

Chapter 10 of the PHAK (Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge) has a good explanation of all this weight and balance issues. Chapter 11 talks about the range of a plane and may also be of interest.

Since you are starting on this journey, I would also like to recommend another possible way to start learning to fly for your consideration. Have you considered starting to fly in gliders?

The reason I ask is that gliders are an excellent way to learn to fly as you really learn how a set of wings and controls handle in the air, without the distractions of power, navigating the airspace, etc. It is the way the Wright brothers taught themselves control of an airplane before adding power and one of the reasons they were successful when others failed. Many instructors will say that pilots who start in gliders have excellent control of the airplane.

The training you obtain for flying gliders can then be used to add a certificate for power, so it is time well invested toward that goal.

The Soaring Society of America has a map and I see 3 glider flying locations near Dallas. https://www.ssa.org/WhereToFlyMap.asp. If you can chop out a few weeks, you could also come out to Phoenix AZ and knock out that initial part of the training at the Estrella sailport which has a very effective commercial operation.

Back