Airplane recommendation

LIttle Joe

I currently own a Bonanza. My wife is an IFR rated pilot, but she doesn't like to fly the Bonanza alone in IMC. Buying a second airplane is out of the question, so I am considering downsizing.

Is there such a thing as an IFR capable, two-seater traveling machine that can haul a good amount of luggage and preferably be at least a little faster than a 172 (and a little less expensive)?

A fixed pitch prop with fixed gear would be best. A carburetor rather than fuel injection would also be good because she HATES trying hot start a fuel injected engine after fueling and she would prefer not to have to move the plane away from the pumps by herself. An extra buck or sometimes two/gallon for full service solves that when available, but . . .

Pack lighter and enjoy the longer journey time? ;)

So is the luggage bulky or is it heavy, and what is the minimum requirements in volume or weight?
I presume minimum acceptable speed is somewhere north of, say, 125 kts?

A 1969 fixed gear Cardinal? Cruise at about 131 mph on 9 gph of fuel.

BTW - what Bonanza do you have? I might be interested. (But I am not selling my Cardinal.)

What's your mission? Lunch runs, short or long trips, pattern work?
Most people find that a four seat airplane becomes a two-seater pretty fast when they start adding luggage.

Just curious why she doesn’t like the bo in the clouds.

That airplane is one of the most stable and easy to fly in imc I’ve flown.

If she doesn’t like the bo it’s unlikely anything will be ok for IFR. Smaller and less complex will also be lighter and less stable requiring more effort to fly.

I don’t think what you’re looking for exists but I wish you luck.

Back