Amelia Rose

murphey

Any notice that Amelia took off yesterday from California to start the round-the-world flight? This time in a Pilatus12. With 2 GPS and synthetic vision.

Dr. O said:
And her flying skills are questionable.
Your flying skills are as questionable as hers. I question them. See how easy that is?

Flying around the world is almost a weekly occurrence by someone.
Your name does not, and probably never will, be included among a list of such flights. It could be quite a long list eventually, too.

It's a yawner for me.
I'm trying to think of a single flight you've done that merits more than a yawn....

jjflys said:
I applaud her for using the name her parents gave her and her self promotional skills to have the opportunity to do this flight.

On the other hand, I would be more impressed if it wasn't done in a PC-12 with a more experienced pilot.

If it inspires more young people to get into aviation that's great.
At the other extreme, a solo polar circumnavigation of the globe in an open cockpit biplane using only pilotage and dead reckoning would get her legitimate criticism on any of several counts. There is no flight plan or plane that could be selected that would satisfy all interested observers "sweet spot" for risk or difficulty. Everyone who has attempted such flights has used the most capable aircraft they were able to lay their hands on.

Inspiration. Forget young people for a moment. Consider the collection of existing pilots who rarely venture more than an hour flight from their home airport. If her flight gets them to fly more long distance treks "just for the hell of it" because her flight threatens their insular view of aviation or their place in it, then maybe it will have a broader positive impact.

Jimmy cooper said:
Then there was a woman in a 180 Cessna.
Yeah, the first woman to fly solo around the world. Still alive. Old what's-her-name. :rolleyes2:

Whereas the first man to fly solo around the world killed himself flying a hybrid of his own design using a Lockheed Orion and Explorer that the Lockheed company refused to have anything to do with and considered it dangerous. If "he" had been a "she," the rest of his accomplishments would likely have been downplayed and the failure would have been highlighted, rather than the other way around.

hindsight2020 said:
There are sociological reasons why women don't partake in the activity as widely as men. It is a problem as much as the millenia of human social structure is a "problem".
The fraction of pilots that are black is much lower than the fraction they make up of the general population. Do you believe that the lack of motivation toward flying of black males and females is due to the same sociological cause?

DavidWhite said:
You're just a misogynist woman-hater :D
I checked her profile - looks like she's just a jealous brunette. ;)

(I'm just an old bald white guy trying to figure out what the heck is going on so as to do the right thing - and failing at it.)

Back