Any other small bidness owners here?

Just wrapping up the monthly agony of paying taxes. It's 12:15 AM, and all the parasites have been paid, leaving nothing left to speak of in the end. This after spending a full day hanging sheetrock, (we're remodeling another three rooms) followed by my regular shift on the desk.

Ah, the romantic life of a small business owner. :lol:

Any other gluttons for punishment here?

timwinters said:
Only if different hotels in the same market have different taxes. When all hotels in a city or area are playing by the same rules then it's a non-factor.
As a consumer, if I find that add-on taxes make staying at any of those hotels not worth my while, I'll spend the money elsewhere or keep it in my pocket. The tax-on-revenue undermines the competitiveness of hoteliers with respect to all other demands for those dollars which have tax-on-profit.

(Jay's in even worse situation in that his hotel doesn't target travelers on their way to some destination, but is the destination.)

alaskaflyer said:
If one answers the question in the thread title in the affirmative but refuses to **** and moan about taxes would that contribute to or detract from the community discussion? :idea:
Jay posed a question in the body of the first post to this thread that I believe should have answered your question almost immediately.

alaskaflyer said:
Ok, so leaving out the bed tax issues and the taxes you collect on behalf of your employees which I think are red herrings myself, what do you think is your effective total tax rate - the total that you send out the door to local, state and federal tax authorities, expressed as a percentage of gross?

I really am curious.
I'm curious too - I'm in the software business and that number is probably easier for me to compute since I probably have fewer types of taxes to pay than a hotelier. It also helps that I do all my own accounting (with the help of Peachtree software) so I can compute an estimate fairly quickly. For my company, it works out to sending ~22% of every dollar of revenue to various governments.

Back