Any tips for a pilot starting instrument?

David Anthony

I’m currently 18 and I (as of today) have started instrument training. I got to experience real IMC and couldn’t be more excited to get this rating. Just as a general conversation…does anyone have any tips that could benefit me as I go along?

For me, IR was much easier than private. Other than developing the scan, no real new motor learning required. Learn the rules and how to follow the procedures.

This is a type of training where the sim on the computer can really help. Set the turbulence to moderate to force you to divide between making corrections and managing the other tasks.

Agree with others on really knowing the GPS if you will be using one. Garmin has good simulators. I just worked through every example in the pilot’s guide on the simulator. No expensive flight time required.

luvflyin said:
Sure. I started in right away after getting PPL.

You need to work on your Flight planning skills. You wasted .2 hours:D
My instrument instructor had followed the conventions at his former school where they logged all the flight time as simulated instrument on the flights with primarily foggles on. So we schedule the checkride thinking I have something like 44 simulated.

After talking with the DPE the night before he discovers the DPE does not like this as the takeoffs are without foggles in almost all cases. He wants us to make a correction for it. After figuring out how many flights and making a logbook entry for the overall correction, I took my instrument checkride also with 40.2 hours of simulated instrument time. Close one I was sweating on for a bit.

As is often the case it was all simulated time here in AZ.

Back