Article on unusual paved public use airports in Arizona.

Thanks all for the kind remarks. If you like the Arizona Pilots newsletter, one might consider joining. The APA has done a lot of good work for Arizona pilots, like re-opening the Grapevine airstrip (though it is closed tomorrow) and also has a number of fun fly-outs each year.

Kal Ma said:
Thanks - just joined. What airport would you suggest for training close to mid-town and one that is not Sky Harbor and has less traffic. Glendale?
I have not done training at Glendale, but agree that when I have been there the air traffic has been much more reasonable.

I was just looking at the map and it seems Chandler, KCHD, is about equidistant. The school there Chandler Aviation Service is quite good and I can hook you up with some independent instructors there as well there. Of course, you could also be one of my early students if you want as I am just finishing up my powered CFI ;-)

You might want to drive to the different ones in the morning if that is when you will be training to see what the traffic is like.

I would be remiss if I did not ask what kind of flight training you are looking to start with? And note the advantages, even if eventually going on to powered flight, of starting in gliders. Flying gliders really does teach one how a set of wings and controls handles in the air without a lot of other complexities. Most people feel this training makes for better piloting. The training obtained can then be used as the basis for adding on powered flight at a later time. If you want to explore that option, to the SW of town is Arizona Soaring, one of the premier training spots in the US.

Tampico Trauma said:
Although they just finished paving 54AZ today, do you need to add that to your list!
I will do that. Almost landed one day last year when Yuma. Now I will definitely have to! Thanks.

Tarheelpilot said:
You should definitely check it out. It’s a bright spot for GA. New hangars being built and lots of improvements to the facilities. I was just there yesterday.
Is 54AZ public use? Or do we need permission to land there?

Back