Been coughing for a week now. Nothing seems to stop the coughing (non-aviation)

N918KT

Hey all. I have been sick for at least a week with almost non-stop coughing. It started on Thursday or Friday with a scratchy throat and a little cough. But it then progressed into coughing at certain times. Sometimes I cough very hard at certain times that it makes me feel awful.

I went to the college infirmary last Monday to see what was wrong. I told the doctor that I have been mainly coughing and he asks if I cough up mucus. I said sometimes, yeah. He said that I may have some kind of upper respiratory infection or something like that, and he then prescribed me antibiotics (Z-pac), Robitison, and some cough drops. He told me to take the antibiotics every day for 5 days and come back if the coughing doesn't go away.

Well I took my last antibiotic today and the coughing still hasn't gone away. I felt the same still from 5 days ago. The Robitison and cough drops don't help very much either.

I had an upper respiratory infection like that for a couple of weeks last summer and when I got the Z-pac, by the end of 5 days, the coughing was gone. I don't know why I'm not cured by now? Maybe I got immune to the antibiotics and the antibiotics don't have an effect on me?

What should I do to stop the coughing? Any way to control the cough?

Back