Beginning of flight training.

saracelica

So I'm done with my PPL (thank godness!) One of my friends is just starting out in the world of learning it all. She's hard core reading about everything to pass the written at some point. She says she's on a tight budget (husband wants to retire - who doesn't want to retire from the workforce!). First lesson she went green :vomit: and could barely drive home. She said "CFI did too many loopsie doodles" But he was just showing her all the things she's reading about. Maybe he pushed a little far. I suggested he back off a little and take it easy the next time. So they went flying today and I texted her "How'd it go today? Better I hope!" She replied "Headache and almost threw up and maybe my headset adjusted"

Anything any of you guys would say to her to help? Is she putting too much stress and trying to learn too quick and shove it into her head? Dehydrated? I'm baffled but don't know what to say.

Most of what I've read seems to indicate that one simply has to suffer through motion sickness while the mind and body acclimate themselves, at which point most people stop suffering the symptoms. Unfortunately some people are never able to acclimate. Here is just one article on this much-studied subject:

"Effects of Motion at Sea on Crew Performance: A Survey", Stevens and Parsons

http://www.nps.navy.mil/orfacpag/resumePages/projects/Fatigue/HSISymposium/cdr_pdfs/indexed/1a_3.pdf"It is somewhat comforting to know that, over time, habituation (or adaptation) occurs. Acquiring one’s “sea legs” may take anywhere from a few hours to several days, and in about 5% of the population, it does not occur at all."

Back