Bogus phone calls from "Microsoft"

Jim Logajan

Administrator
Staff member
We've been getting annoying phone calls from people (with heavy accents) claiming to be from Microsoft and claiming there is a problem with the computers at our residence. These are people intending to infect or otherwise take advantage of people's computers (I've never played along long enough to determine their M.O.) I can see how some people could be taken in by their scam. Consider this a word to the wise to anyone who gets unsolicited calls from "Microsoft" or any other alleged firm that tries to alert you that there is something wrong with your computer that needs remote fixing.

I tried outright insults to make them go away - no luck so far. Every week or so we get a call or two. A moment ago I told one of them "There are no computers here." "Oh sorry sir, I must have the wrong number." (I count 10 computers in my office. That's close to zero, eh?)

Since our phone number is now on some computer scummer's list I expect we'll get more calls in the future anyway. Sigh. The only redeeming factor is that unlike the bogus credit card robocalls, there is an actual person I can abuse.

ScottM said:
Why do you even answer the phone when it is a number that you dont recognize?
Unfortunately to accept business related calls. While it is rare, I have had to handle impromptu support calls to our home phone at the oddest hours. This comes with selling a software product costing $25k. Customers expect a bit of decent support for that kind of money.

Back