Burnt out

Lizzyduff

I started training in college and passed the written before running out of funding despite a small scholarship from the 99s. Started up again last summer and bought a 1965 c172 to train in. I adore my CFI and have upmost respect for the years of experience he has. However I work full time and have spent every free minute of my time studying. He says I don't need him anymore and I fly on my own frequently to build hours up and enjoy playing in the wind. I'm tired. I'm not getting any better than an 80 on practice tests and am truly ready to throw in the towel. I've signed up to take the written test again in 2 weeks (original one expired years ago) and I find myself not caring if I pass or not. I'm so frustrated with my lack of progress despite sacrificing everything I used to enjoy that I decided to sell the plane if I don't pass. I'm sick and tired of hearing patronizing remarks from other pilots that "oh you'll do fine, I got a 98% on mine". I spent every weekend, every evening for past year studying and I don't get any higher score on practice tests. I figure not everyone is cut out for it and it's unfortunate it took me 100 hours and thousands upon thousands of dollars to figure it out. My CFI thinks the charts and graphs in the supplemental material have been copied so many times their distorted size is throwing off my calculations, but I wonder if he's just trying to make me feel better. I just thought other students who are wondering if they'll ever realize their lifelong dream of becoming a pilot should know that sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you try, it's not for everyone.

As long as you get a passing grade on the written it really doesn't matter what amount you passed by. People who score high will let everyone know - the rest who just got by remain silent.

The important question is - how is your flying? How do you do on practice practical exams?

Back