Buying a plane at auction

SecondCycle

Hey folks,

Newbie in town but have always been interested in aviation and figure you folks know quite a bit about general aviation and buying/selling airplanes, so I'm hoping to pick your brain a bit if you'll allow.

1) Would you ever buy a plane via online auction without seeing the aircraft in person, under any circumstances?
2) What information do you wish more aircraft sellers would provide before you consider buying?
3) Are there any features that the online auction platform (i.e. eBay) would need to provide in order for you to feel comfortable bidding and winning an auction for an aircraft?
4) What kind of verification would you expect the platform to do prior to letting the seller list his or her aircraft for sale?
5) Would you ever consider selling your plane via an online auction platform dedicated to aviation?
6) If so, what expectations would you have of the platform?

I'm doing a research project for a school course and I'm trying to determine if such an aircraft marketplace is viable or if there are just too many risks.

Thank you for your attention! I'll send you all the paper once it's done, if there's interest haha :)

steingar said:
My guess is the OP has not gained any permission for use of human subjects in his research, nor has he really done anything to achieve informed consent. If I find out who the faculty is who sent the OP on his little quest I might consider writing some rather harshly worded letters...
I don’t believe human subjects approval is required for a survey of this nature.

https://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/regulations-and-policy/decision-charts/index.html#c2

steingar said:
Have your served on an IRB? Informed consent is required for all federally funded research ion human subjects. While the student’s advisor might not have any federal funding, I promise you lots runs through his school for which they have made assurances the OP is breaking. Hence if I find out the advisor of this student I’m dropping a dime.
Yes, actually I have served on an IRB and my primary work when I was gathering recordings was in human epilepsy patients.

There are a number of exemptions that might apply depending on the exact circumstances here. The link I posted notes what these are (possibly 45 CFR 46.101 b 2). In general, a non-invasive survey which does not inquire about protected health information or other sensitive matters will be an expedited approval, if not exempt. There is usually a quick administrative interpretation if exempt.

But if there is a serious question and if the survey seems to be violating someone’s safety or rights in any way, I am sure the board at the institution would rather know than not.

Back