Can I remove the beacon atop my rudder?

Jim Logajan

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be replacing the right (green) position light on my plane with a uAvionix skySensor, which acts as a green position light and optionally be wired in as a strobe light (in addition to acting as an ADS-B In receiver.) The tail already has a uAvionix tailBeaconX installed (see photo.) It acts as a white position light while performing ADS-B Out and transponder duties. The previous owner of the airplane told me he had plans to remove the beacon (or is it a strobe?) at the top of the rudder but I can't remember what he said he would have to install elsewhere to get that done. I assume install a beacon (strobe?) on one or both wingtips visible fore and aft in addition to wingtip position lights, but that's a confused guess on my part.

Anyone know what the scoop is on such a change? Perusing the subject on the web seems to involve more geometric logic than even Captain Queeg could handle.

Edit to add: Directing me to a single document that would allow me to discern the answer would be adequate.

Attachments

• IMG_2190.jpeg
    IMG_2190.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Further research lead me to the attached document from Whelen Aerospace which does a good job answering the question. It indicates something like a Whelen Orion 650 combo position/anti-collision light could be installed on the left wing, which would allow the rudder light to be removed. I have no idea what paperwork would be required.

Attachments

• Anti-Collision.Systems.Regulations.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 24
Can I remove the beacon atop my rudder?
Yes. However what route you will have to take will depend on various items like the aircraft original configuration vs current configuration, aircraft year of manufacture, etc. Regardless the end result will require the removal still allows the aircraft to meet the original certification requirement.
The previous owner of the airplane told me he had plans to remove the beacon (or is it a strobe?)
The beacon vs strobe is simply the type of light assembly: a beacon has a motor to rotate a fixed bulb and a strobe flashes in all directions. As best as I can tell from your picture, you have an aftermarket strobe installed as I seem to recall an aircraft of your vintage only came with a beacon.
Edit to add: Directing me to a single document that would allow me to discern the answer would be adequate.
Unfortunately, since it appears you may have up to 4 separate installation “approvals” for your anti-collision and position light system, I think you will be hard pressed to find a “single document” solution unless you decide to replace your entire system with one complete system.

Back