CFII Rating

BrianNC

So those that have the CFII, how difficult is that rating? I imagine you should know instrument rules backwards and forward. Do you have do demonstrate flying under the hood from the right seat as well as instruct the DPE while they are under the hood?

Also, how does the length of the oral compare to the CFI? I would be doing this as an initial rating as I wouldn't care to do primary instruction. I have no interest in a CFI. Any other info or advice would be appreciated.

Oh, one more thing. What writtens do you have to pass? I did teach at a Bible college for many years. I had read it seems at some point if you're a teacher or were a teacher you don't have to take the FOI?

Oh, one more thing. What writtens do you have to pass? I did teach at a Bible college for many years. I had read it seems at some point if you're a teacher or were a teacher you don't have to take the FOI?
ETA: Evidently a person who has a flight instructor certificate with an instrument rating but no class rating can since 2018 do instrument flight instruction so long as they have the correct ratings on their pilot certificate (see FAR 16.195(c)) H/T @Wheels .

You would have to pass the FOI first and then CFII written. Only holders of a teaching certificate from the state or current professors at higher educational institutions are exempt from this requirement. FAR 61.183(e)2-3.

If you just want to do ground instruction on instrument, you could just do the FOI and IGI written tests.

BrianNC said:
Yeah, not current so I'd have to take that test. Haven't taught in about 7 years now.
Then you can have the (cough) pleasure of studying the FAA’s “Flight Instructor’s Handbook”. I found it a very annoying book because they treat many subjects in the theory of teaching at a very abstract level without really connecting to concretes. So very difficult to integrate into your other knowledge of teaching - especially if you have prior experience.

One can of course just kill and drill it to pass the test and then know enough to pass the practical, if you go the CFII route.

OOT - I believe the CFII written and the IGI written are nearly the same question bank. So if you are going to do one, you may just want to do the other.

BrianNC said:
So then the CFII written, IGI, and FOI.
Yes. And once you have the latter two you can fill out the application and take it to the FSDO and get your instrument ground instructor certificate!

AggieMike88 said:
Easy stretch goal to have the AGI done too.
With COVID19 and all, getting to the FSDO to have them approve your ground instructor certificates can be iffy. You can also have a DPE do it
I believe they have to have the Ground Instructor Examiner (GIE) authority. I found it hard to find people with that other than at the FSDO.

BrianNC said:
I was thinking maybe along the lines of getting an airplane as @Ryan F. said and offering accelerated instruction since I didn't care to do primary.
If teaching in your own plane, you will then need to obtain approval as an operator of the plane if charging. 100 hour inspections and so on.

RussR said:
??? Approval from whom, to do what?
Not an expert, but it looks like you just need to have your insurance company approve and issue a policy and then do the 100 hour inspections. Are there additional licensing requirements in some jurisdictions? I imagine other posters here have done this.

When I looked into this for my plane, the premiums were high enough to rule out instruction for the occasional student.

Back