Class Bravo PHX Questions

dtbecker

Hello,

I'm a recent Private Pilot and just have a few questions. These are scenarios that I have just thought of for training purposes and help me learn more (I'm not going to actually fly it). This is regarding the Phoenix Class Bravo airspace overlying Phoenix Sky Harbor (KPHX).

1) Phoenix Approach has designated multiple Approach/Departure frequencies based on the heading. First, is this true course? Or is this a magnetic heading in the Chart Supplement? Also, the Chart Supplement lists specific altitudes, so does this mean I need to be at these altitudes before contacting approach?

2) Can you get permission to fly the VFR Transition route and clearance into the Class Bravo on a single transmission? Lets say I were to go from Phoenix Deer Valley (KDVT) to Chandler Municipal (KCHD) (with the Bravo transition).

I'm just mainly confused because there are multiple approach/departure frequencies.

Agreed about the frequencies. Just raise them on one that works and is roughly appropriate to the area.

To request the transition you should be in the air and on frequency with approach. It usually involves multiple transmissions.

When approaching from the north or south you will say VFR with request. They will give you a transponder code. You put that in. A while later they will say radar contact and the location where they see you, usually followed by ‘say request’. You then tell them what you want, like “transition the Phoenix bravo in route to Chandler”.

They may deny it but almost always grant it and tell you to fly the east or west route (know where these are and how to find them from the chart) and assign an altitude for the transition.

Note they must say the words “cleared through the Phoenix class Bravo” before you can enter and you must acknowledge having received that clearance.

You fly that while in contact with them.

Afterwards they will tell you you are leaving the bravo and may tell you to change to code 1200 and resume own navigation or they may follow you to near the airport and then hand you off to tower.

Back