Commercial pilot requirement question about the long cross country

BrianNC

Here is how the reg reads:

One cross-country flight of not less than 300nm total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250nm from the original departure point

I think I'm over-thinking this and not understanding it because my 'logic' is getting in the way.

So if one point has to be a straight line distance of at least 250nm, then why the 300nm requirement, because your trip is going to be a least 500nm if you do a round-robin. I suppose if you did a straight line flight and counted it, then they're trying to make sure you go at least another 50nm during the trip with two more landings, round-robin or not?

But if I did it round-robin style, then it's definitely going to be at least a 500nm trip, correct? At the least straight out 250nm, and then back stopping at least at one more point, making a total of 3 landings when I land back at original point of departure.

And this flight is supposed to be solo, no passenger along?

Sorry for sounding so convoluted, just my brain working overtime. lol.

ja_user said:
So no more solo XC beyond that required at the PPL level. if you can find a CFI and are willing to pay.
My understanding is that this is a sop to the flight schools whose insurance won’t let them have a low time pilot solo a plane that far away.

Agreed that the amount of solo cross country time for pilots trained at the big schools and going as directly as possible to the airlines is inadequate.

Back