Considering PPL, OCD/"approved" SSRI

anonymous

I would appreciate any advice folks can give . I have considered getting my private pilots license for about 10-15 years, and just started thinking about it again and am kicking the tires. I have been watching lots of training videos etc lately, and today stumbled on information regarding the use of SSRIs which I was quite surprised about.

I was diagnosed with OCD about 10 years ago (type of contamination OCD) and have been on 2 different SSRIs since then, both on the “approved” list (switched meds, not taken together). When on the medication I lead a very normal life, so much that my psychiatrist is now very slowly lowering the dose so we can get to a lower dose that is still efficacious. I have no intention of stopping the medication. (I stopped once and after 9-12 months symptoms came back) I also take benazepril and hydrochlorothiazide that controls moderate hypertension. I am relatively healthy, don’t smoke or drink.

From what I have gathered the SSRI I take is not completely disqualifying, but it sounds like the hoops and money involved for evaluations can be significant. I guess I am looking for confirmation that getting past this is quite prohibitive. If it was just a couple extra appointments and and a little extra money I would considerate it. However, if it is a huge hassle, costs an extra $5-10K like I have read, I don’t think it is worth it for me. I guess before I just give up, I want to make sure that my understanding of the situation is at least semi-accurate.

Thanks.

WDD said:
BTW - you can do most of your training in a regular Skyhawk to see if you actually like it. Then find another instructor who will transition you to an LSA for solo and practical. They are far and few between so you might have to go to a 2 week “boot camp” to finish up.
This. For someone who has dreamed of flying, just go do it and start in the 172. See how well you like it. Then decide on the path forward to overcome the details.

Back