Cybersquatters suck

CJones

When my dad starting building the RV-7A ten years ago, he set up a simple website to post his pictures of the build. Since then it's rarely been updated except for when he started building the -10. A few years ago I helped him move the hosting to my shared hosting account so he could save some money.

Last year I moved my sites over to Linode, but I hadn't got around to moving his stuff over. I got a call from him today saying that his domain had expired and could I look into getting it renewed. When I went to check on it, I discovered that it had actually expired back in February, but since the notification emails were sent to both of our 'junk' email accounts, we never saw them. I went to hover to try to use this opportunity to start moving my DNS registrations from GoDaddy. That's when I realized that his piddly do-nothing domain had been scooped up and is sitting there doing nothing.

The domain is completely useless as a commercial domain. All it was used for was for him to post pictures every blue moon and to have another email account that was a bit unique.

What a lazy way to make money. Yeah, I totally dropped the ball on keeping the domain registered, but the fact that someone has built a business around making other people miserable is ridiculous.

Back