Dead Stick Landing, RV-12

Geico266

I would like present a video I made in my RV-12 to show the glide characteristics in an actual engine out situation.

I started out at 6,300' MSL about 5 miles SW of my 1,500'MSL airport. Winds were 120 degrees @ 15 gusts to 23 mph, Runway 17. I weight about 210 and 11 gallons of fuel, no baggage, no passenger.

Moderate traffic dictated that I maintained a "normal" pattern rather than a straight in approach for 35 without declairing an actual emergency. Touch down point was the middle of the runway and I came in short around the numbers after slipping hard with full flaps.

My hope in presenting this video is that others may see how much time you have before touch down to look for an airport, road, open field, ect. IMHO it is panic and inattention to airspeed that is your enemy, not the loss of the engine. If you need to panic do it in a bar with a stiff drink a couple hours after landing. Obviously, it depends on what you fly, but your buying decision should include all aspects of safe flight.
wink.gif

A -12 has a glide ratio of about 13-1 which gives good glide range, and the low stall speed gives good survivability.

Enjoy! About 8 minutes long.

My hope in presenting this video is that others may see how much time you have before touch down to look for an airport, road, open field, ect. IMHO it is panic and inattention to airspeed that is your enemy, not the loss of the engine. If you need to panic do it in a bar with a stiff drink a couple hours after landing. Obviously, it depends on what you fly, but your buying decision should include all aspects of safe flight.
proxy-240-gif.317
I didn't see any oil covering the window, obscuring your visibility.

I didn't see any teeth-rattling vibration as part of a blade comes off the prop, or engine tries to eat itself after a mechanical failure.

I didn't see any demo of real emotional reaction in which the stoppage was unexpected, rather than well planned in advance.

I didn't see how this relates to real engine stoppage where there is no option to turn back on the engine.

I didn't see any way this relates to engine stoppage shortly after takeoff, at or below pattern altitude.

I didn't see how this provides anything of educational value beyond that which a CFI is already required to teach pre-solo and tested during their check ride: "61.87(d)(13) Approaches to a landing area with simulated engine malfunctions."

I didn't see how your video differs from this RV-12 engine off video, taken almost exactly 2 years prior to yours and even involves an immediate takeoff after landing:

Attachments

• proxy.240.GIF
    proxy.240.GIF
    1 KB · Views: 114
RoscoeT said:
Are you actually a pilot or have you just watched too many movies? Puh-lease.
Would not matter what I say, so look my name up in the FAA database. You have done engine out, right? You had this done to you two or three times at least, when you didn't expect it, right? What did this video teach you that you were supposed to have learned prior even to solo?

I'm all for education. The OP did something that he found educational - good for him. I normally see no reason to repeat myself, since my points should make clear what I'm getting at, but I'll repeat myself anyway for clarity: the video really doesn't address the issue of panic at all because it completely bypasses the cause. Planned engine out doesn't cause panic and if a pilot in anything but a balloon doesn't learn something about gliding then that is a case of failed education, not failure to control composure.

I submit that if the OP did a demo of planned engine out shortly after takeoff at, say, pattern altitude or even a little above then he'd have a bit of anxiety about the demo and sweat a little on his first attempt. Anxiety is not panic, but it closes in on a mental state that may start to negatively affect ones piloting.

RoscoeT said:
Dude, this is ONE video. There are lots of different variables and situations you can find yourself in when losing an engine. Engines quit in all phases of flight. Was this not one that actually happens? I think so.
Here is a simple question to you and any other pilot who has soloed: what did you learn from this video that was useful to you? What did you not know or realize prior to seeing the OP's video?

Most CFIs demonstrate and conduct actual deadstick glide performance?
Well all my initials landings were dead stick....

(I might be a little grumpy because I'm grounded for who knows how long....)

Back