Depression and Medical

Anonymouse

Hey all -
So I've been thinking for a long while about this. I think I may be diagnosable with some degree of depression. I know that doesn't usually fly with the FAA folks, and I don't want them to come after me for lying on ExpressMed (When I did my last medical several years ago, I did answer honestly, but a lot has happened since then). I also haven't flown recently, in the last few months, due to that as well as weather.
I haven't been to any type of counseling or psychologist yet, but I am debating doing so. I just don't feel right, nothing really seems exciting anymore, even flying, which was is the best part of my life. It's not that I doubt my ability as a pilot, I am competent and level-headed, but I worry that if I see someone and get put on meds, I will become ineligible for flying. I also don't know exactly how that works and whether or not it will ever allow me to fly again.
Should I just ground myself while I seek treatment? Will simply seeing a psychologist put me at risk of losing my ability to fly in the future?

How about talking to a counselor first and a general check-up for any basic medical issues?

There are several ways to deal with these diagnoses that are fine with the FAA. After you are well, do an AME consult http://tinyurl.com/ame-consult and, if it is complicated, work with one of the expert AMEs here.

Back