Disturbing new trend?

danhagan

This past weekend I took the AC out just for exercise (oil warming, battery, etc.) from my field Dona Ana NM 5T6 to Las Cruces NM KLRU.

Approaching Las Cruces by radio traffic I am estimating 4 AC in or near the pattern. In reality: One inbound, one "helpful" codger on the ground attempting to act as ATC and one in the pattern. The one in the pattern has two pilots, both using different descriptions of the same AC (one using N12345 and the other as "blue&white Cessna") for their position calls.:mad2:

Upon returning to the home drome. The jump planes are out (no problem), the meat bombs are landing south of the field (no problem) and a twin Cessna is doing the EXACT same as the AC in Las Cruces.

Request: If you're flying with someone, use the same AC description on position calls please .... thanks.

I'll volunteer to be the kill joy this time around, but only because I'd hate for anyone here to become FCC road kill. So:

If you don't include the full N-number or the aircraft type and last 3 characters of the N-number(*) then you are violating FCC regulations (but not FAA regulations so far as I know.) If you want to also include the color of your airplane or your underwear (which are about equally relevant to me when I'm more than half a mile away) to each transmission then feel free if you think it helps.

For aircraft stations, these are the official radio transmission identification rules, which should look familiar to anyone who has read the relevant sections of the FAA AIM (the following is quoted from http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx....95.11&idno=47):

Title 47: Telecommunication
PART 2—FREQUENCY ALLOCATIONS AND RADIO TREATY MATTERS; GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
Subpart D—Call Signs and Other Forms of Identifying Radio Transmissions
§ 2.301 Station identification requirement. Each station using radio frequencies shall identify its transmissions according to the procedures prescribed by the rules governing the class of station to which it belongs with a view to the elimination of harmful interference and the general enforcement of applicable radio treaties, conventions, regulations, arrangements, and agreements in force, and the enforcement of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, and the Commission's rules.
Title 47: Telecommunication
PART 87—AVIATION SERVICES
Subpart C—Operating Requirements and Procedures
§ 87.107 Station identification.

(a) Aircraft station. Identify by one of the following means:(1) Aircraft radio station call sign.
(2) The type of aircraft followed by the characters of the registration marking (“N” number) of the aircraft, omitting the prefix letter “N.” When communication is initiated by a ground station, an aircraft station may use the type of aircraft followed by the last three characters of the registration marking. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, an aircraft being moved by maintenance personnel from one location in an airport to another location in that airport may be identified by a station identification consisting of the name of the company owning or operating the aircraft, followed by the word “Maintenance” and additional alphanumeric characters of the licensee's choosing.
(3) The FAA assigned radiotelephony designator of the aircraft operating organization followed by the flight identification number.
(4) An aircraft identification approved by the FAA for use by aircraft stations participating in an organized flying activity of short duration.
(*) The FCC regulations only seem to allow the use of the aircraft type plus last 3 characters of the registration number when someone on the ground initiates communications, which means all us making our pattern calls per the FAA AIM at uncontrolled fields would seem to be FCC outlaws.

rocketflyer84 said:
The regulation pasted in to justify this statement doesn't even agree with this...

Unless someone can point to an actual case of the FCC busting someone for not using the tail number in every traffic transmission at an uncontrolled airport then this is a moot issue.
"The type of aircraft followed by the characters of the registration marking (“N” number) of the aircraft, omitting the prefix letter “N.” When communication is initiated by a ground station, an aircraft station may use the type of aircraft followed by the last three characters of the registration marking."

To repeat, I volunteered what historical and official information I was aware of because it appeared to me a lot of people, CFIs included, are unaware of the legal reasons for call signs in transmissions. I don't make regulations or agree with them - just calling them to your attention.

If you don't think the FCC cares that much, you may be correct. But I hope now a handful more people have some idea from whence the requirement comes and why (i.e. the FCC wants to know who to contact to stop collisions of off-frequency transmissions and cares not a whit for mid-air collisions of aircraft.)

Back