DME Arcs

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
Who here remembers flying DME arcs? I just tried flying one in the sim and completely lost track of my twists and turns. Hopefully better tomorrow. Because my Cardinal still uses a DME - no certified GPS.

Since I don't have an IFR rating I've never needed to fly one, but I see the ACS still says "While the applicant is expected to be able to fly DME Arcs, they may be selected for testing only if they are charted and available."
If I get around to earning an IFR rating the local airport has charted DME Arc approaches. So I may someday be able to post an informed answer!

You can of course try one out in the simulator. Most challenging in a simmed airplane like originally intended. A VOR and DME for instruments -- no GPS. Your instructor should cover this if they are locally available.

I was also trained on NDB approaches since their used to be several around here and my plane has a working ADF (still!). Originally it did not work well and was off by about 30 degrees. So I pulled it out and cleaned the panel connectors and that fixed it - stray capacitance mattered I think. I actually did an NDB approach during my IFR check-ride. Afterwards my instructor told me that he had originally been hoping it would stay broken and so he wouldn't have to teach me those!

Back