DOT Will Require ALL Hobby Drones to be Registered

ARFlyer

http://gizmodo.com/report-drone-owners-will-now-have-to-register-with-the-1737038255

DOT announced today that they will require all newly sold hobby drones to be registered with the agency. The information will be used to charge owners for future airspace/aircraft violations.

I don't see an issue with this as the users created this problem. I want to know which teenagers a$$ to kick when their gopro drone hits my aircraft. If people had common sense we wouldn't have this issue.

It is great to see that the DOT is finally acting to end all the death, maiming, and property destruction we've had to suffer from these drones! Just because it is imagined doesn't make it any less real!

cowman said:
I think it's likely to be about as effective as trying to register all large birds, but hey why not?
I think it would great if birds were registered. As a sky-fearing pilot like so many others here, I think these sorts of things must be dealt with by some large benevolent entity.

Kritchlow said:
It's really like anything else... Driving without insurance
In some jurisdictions there is no requirement for insurance when driving on private property. Likewise, there is sometimes no requirement for a vehicle to be registered with a state if not operated on public roads.

flying without a medical
Glider, ultralight, balloon, light sport.

A host of conflicting examples under that category!

It happens but we need to at least try to stop it.
Education has been entirely and completely abandoned as the first thing to try. Observation of the number of accidents (none) has been absolutely and totally ignored. The relative risk versus cost to freedom has been tossed merrily out the window.

Just because the cops don't catch every bank robber does not mean they shouldn't arrest the ones they do. After all, if there was no risk in robbing a bank, wouldn't everyone do it??
If you think drone flyer actions by there very nature take something from someone else, then we aren't even on the same planet when it comes to assessing human rights.

Kritchlow said:
I'm confused why some think a heavy flying object that people fly in areas along with commercial aviation shouldn't be regulated?
Neither ultralights or their pilots are registered with anyone and they fly in the same airspace as commercial aviation. The DOT sounds like it wants to require registration of toys irrespective of where they may actually be flown.

Or perhaps they think there should be zero aviation regulations?
Like a lot of things in life, it is quite possible to have aviating going on safely with no government regulation. That doesn't happen today because of ingrained cultural expectations, not because of any magic that arises only from "government".

I know there are some weak guidelines out there that responsible people adhere to, but really this is an issue that needs to be addressed.
What issue needs to be addressed?

I don't see how the DOT can require registration of hobby drones when congress statutorily proscribed such rules (congressional statutes name the FAA administrator, not its parent organization, as the agency with jurisdiction):SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic
control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).
Full text of law: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-112publ95/pdf/PLAW-112publ95.pdf

I predict that what actually happens on Monday, if anything, will not match at all the story that is circulating in the news.

jbarrass said:
How would this work?
All that exists as of today are some claims by an MSNBC reporter. The claims with respect to the alleged timetable are so unbelievable that the "scoop" is likely wrong in all its details.

Unless there was a stealth NPRM by the DOT, the requirements of the APA (Administrative Procedures Act) haven't been followed. It would take months for the DOT to place rules into effect if they properly follow the legal way of doing things, never mind the logistical machinery the DOT would have to put in place to handle the registrations if they managed to get such a regulation put in place.

There is also the not to so small matter that such a registration regulation may be against the law. Legal challenges would very likely occur.

I see other news reports claiming independent confirmation of the story.
So I'm baffled as to why the feds think the registration idea can go forward without violating the law in several ways.

ifly4fun said:
This thread would be an interesting read if we search/replace "drone" with "gun". I wonder how many arguments would be retracted. Of course that would make it more for the spin zone.
Or replace "drone" with "bicycle". Millions of the latter that potentially could be ( and are) ridden on the roads.

Back