Drone ID not popular

woodchucker said:
I don’t know. And I fly RC as well. But pilots need to be accountable. That heartbreaking story of the mother in Taiwan who was killed by an RC glider while with her kid just screams regulation. If you murder someone with your hobby there needs to be accountability.
Isn’t murder in that jurisdiction illegal and wrongful death a tort? Those can provide accountability.

Like most things regulatory, it would really be best if the FAA at least attempted some kind of cost benefit analysis. Since there are a lot on unknowns and lacking good studies, much is essentially educated estimates.

But they could at least try and figure out what is the actual risk mitigated by their proposed regulations, how many lives or serious injuries might be saved, and what it is going to cost to implement. Then figure out if the value you are placing on a life implicitly is even on the correct ballpark.

When people have done this for the TSA the implicit value per life is 100x higher than that available with other safety interventions (which implies one is misallocating the resources if the goal is safety). I suspect the same would be true for drone ID.

Brad Z said:
14 of the 87 pages of the final rule was devoted to cost benefit analysis. See the regulatory evaluation section. Obviously there are tons of assumptions but you can't say they didn't attempt an analysis.
Interesting. I looked and I can't find anything that constitutes a proper cost-benefit analysis of the sort I described, where you figure out what is the costs per life or injury avoided. I am looking at FAA-2019-0001. Please correct me if I missed it.

The executive summary provides three scenarios of estimated costs (which are considerable, ranging from $584M as the base scenario). Some benefits are mentioned later monetarily, such as the costs of airport closures because people are trying to enforce regulations about drones or are worried about them, but even here, there is no attempt to estimate the frequency of such events, with and without drone id, and then compare to the costs. There are NO estimated numbers of lives saved or injuries avoided. No actual comparison of costs versus primary benefits of the proposed intervention.

So while one can perhaps claim that they did do some cost estimation, they made NO attempt to weigh in a quantitative way the value of the primary benefits versus the costs. That is what a serious cost-benefit analysis does.

If this is the idea of the FAA for a cost-benefit analysis they are seriously not thinking about what they are doing, which is supposed to be enhancing safety. This just completely misses the point from an overall cost-benefit point of view. I guess one could generously say they did "attempt an analysis", but then I think one would have to conclude they are grossly incompetent (or don't want to do a proper analysis because it would likely show that the effective cost per life saved in this proposal is grossly out of proportion to any reasonable number).

Did it even cross the minds of the FAA regulators that they should have to justify spending about 1/2 billion dollars of other people's money in terms of what they are doing? I think they tend to operate as "safety at any cost", which is just not possible in the real world.

I don't mean to bash on the FAA exceptionally here. None of this is particular to the FAA, in fact it is completely consistent with what Mises pointed out in "Bureaucracy" is one of the primary problems with regulatory schemes -- the incentives are just not there to behave in a rational manner.

Shepherd said:
According to my best efforts at research, there have been a total of 5 people killed by model planes in the last 50 years.
The most recent being the one mentioned above.
Does anyone have data regarding what the extent of the problem with drones is? Anyone been killed or seriously injured by these? If not, what is the potential and how many close calls? Or does "model airplanes" here include drones?

Of course, this is exactly the sort of information the FAA should have had in their cost-benefit analysis part of the NPRM.

Back