Enforcement actions for intentional omissions on 3rd class medical/PPL

Tony17

Let me be clear, I am not looking for advice.

I'm looking for what range of enforcement actions have actually been taken against a pilot with a third class medical and PPL, who was later found to have intentionally omitted information during their medical, which would have required medical testing and may have wound up getting approved.

With the assumption that the medical issue wasn't obvious to a layperson to have direcly caused an incident. So, for example, there was a case of a commercial pilot who had a diabetic seizure during an air taxi flight, and a passenger who was a student pilot had to take the controls. I'm not talking about that type of scenario! Like, what if that person had been a 3rd class/PPL pilot who of course wasn't flying passengers, and had a medical review due to an incident attributable to an engine going out, wind causing a horrible landing, etc, and was found in the review to have had diabetes and reliance on an insulin pump.

What I've been able to find details on was only for pilots with commercial and airline licenses.

I haven't been able to find what's actually happened with situations of third class/PPL. Revokation of license? Fine? Jailtime?

Again, I'm not looking for what the law says they can do, but what the FAA and prosecutors have actaully gone for and gotten.

Stan Cooper said:
When the AUSA polled the jurors, they said there was no way they'd convict him of anything.
This is one reason we have trial by jury in the Constitution. To nullify ridiculous laws.

Sounds like the answer to the OP is, the Federal government has not been able to obtain a conviction by a judge or jury in this type of case. But of course can make your life hell by the mere indictment.

Back