FAA Monitoring Of Avionics And Forums?

I was talking with a friend of mine today and he mentioned that at a recent Flight Safety recurrency session, one presentation was viewed by a FSDO inspector who made a few comments at the end of the session.

The FSDO rep said that the FAA (the friend said the FSDO) has people who's job is to monitor online media such as forums, YouTube and similar venues for the purpose of finding citable infractions. They are allegedly looking for pilots they can link to the information and sometimes act as a troll to get a pilot to confirm a relationship to a communication.

I've read, as you all have, comments that it is not wise to post anything illegal about flying, and I don't disagree with that. My question is, does anyone know for sure - can anyone verify - my friends message? I'm not so much asking "is this possible or is this likely" but rather am asking "do you know for personal certain that this is happening".

The only apocryphal story I've heard is the Sonex that was registered as an LSA and then busted for posting YouTube videos that showed it consistently exceeding 120 Vh, but I don't know for personal certain if that happened.

TIA

So does this mean that I shouldn't mention any illegal entry into PDX Class B airspace I may or may not have made several times? And that if I do I shouldn't use my real name?

:wink2:

Clark1961 said:
No, it just means that if ya busted the Bravo ya shouldn't open yer yap about it.
Suppose the person admitted such a bust directly to the FAA, but there was no supporting evidence or records. You think that admission is all they need to take action?

Clark1961 said:
with a confession, yes
That is not my understanding of the law. A confession with no other evidence a crime was committed would not be accepted by a court. I'm assuming the corpus delicti rule applies to FAA actions.

SixPapaCharlie said:
Also flying cocaine to and from Mexico has proven profitable.
I did have to kill a guy last time I was there but I have not read anything in the Far Aim that covers killing a member of a cartel. Its gonna be a white Christmas!
How high do you fly?

Back