FCC complaint about Tom Brady swearing

PaulS

Three families filed complaints about CBS and NBC airing Tom Brady saying the F word several times during the Patriots Packers game. There was no audio but you could clearly see what he was saying. Brady says that the TV producers should not have shown it. I agree with him.

I also agree with the parents who complained. One had a 6 year old son who clearly understood what was being said, I hope the FCC takes action.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/Tom-Brady-FCC-complaints-687543

PaulS said:
Why? Look, I'm no more a prude than the next guy on this stuff, but when you have young kids you don't want them exposed to that stuff, it's pretty simple, keep broadcast tv g rated. If you want more adult language get cable, there's plenty there.
Fascinating.

PaulS said:
Ever had kids??
I was a kid. I grew up with siblings. We all have intimate knowledge of the effects - and non-effects - of profanity on children because we've all been there.

Context and intent is key - something I hope you teach to your children. Consider two broad contexts and intents:

(1) Profanity directed at a person. E.g. "F*** you!"
(2) Strong emotion exhibited as a profanity, but not directed at any specific individual; e.g. hitting one's fingers with a hammer or encountering some sudden big failure "Oh f***!"

Teaching that (1) should not be used no matter the provocation is a good idea. Teaching them how to respond when (sadly, not "if") they are the targets of (1) is also important. Telling them to avoid (2) is pointless - no harm, no foul. My maternal grandfather would utter "Shucks!" with the same intent and meaning as others would use "Sh*t!" in the context of (2).

Remotely related is life lessons in general - learned in painful ways that children can't be and shouldn't be shielded from. I'm reminded of a scene in the movie "I Remember Mama" right after Uncle Chris dies and mama says to Katrin "I like you see him. You need not be frightened. He looks ... happy and at peace. I like you to know what death looks like. Then you are not frightened of it, ever."

Back