Fixed pricing for certificates

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
What do people think of something like this? It strikes me as perhaps putting incentives in the wrong place to rush people through. But the price here is sort of on the high side for a young person.

IMG_4194.JPG

If the student isn't ready by 60 hours does the school eat the extra cost?

The local cost to rent a Piper Warrior is $145/hr. Instructor rates are $50/hr. Do the math and the possibility that the student needs more than 60 hours flight time and the cost is pretty close for my area (considering some of those flight hours are solo.) I have no idea what a 172 rents for down there.

Looks to me that they are offering a specific block amount of rental, flight instruction, and ground instruction time, at a package price with no implied guarantee of completion. That may be what is stated in the fine print at the bottom; if not, it should be. At least compared to my CFI's rates and rental rates at his FBO, this is a screaming good deal. Me likey. Now... What's the block rate for my IR? 😁

Edit: My CFI charges $90/hr. He's excellent, but he was $40/hr back when I started with him in 2004 and completed my PPSEL. Let's just say his pay has done a MUCH better job keeping up with inflation than mine has...😟

at least compared to my CFI's rates and rental rates at his FBO, this is a screaming good deal. Me likey. Now... What's the block rate for my IR? 😁
I do note that March and April are very good times to come down to Arizona for flight training 🙂 Also the glider operation at Prescott as well be operating again by then.

I have done fixed price flight reviews in the past. This didn't include the aircraft. I would not have an issue with fixed price on instruction for a rating either.

If you guarantee the price for everything and then student only flies occasionally it would be unfair to the school that you need more hours

Back