Flashlights

tawood

I've always been a flashlight nut.

I bought a new flashlight for the airplane a couple months ago, and I really like it:

61OkDVBK1vL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Only $20 bucks but seems well made, takes AAA batteries (which I prefer over chargeable for flying), and best of all, it has 2 separate buttons: one for white light, one for red. And yes, I know red doesn't really help with night vision in and of itself, but I like that it is also a softer light when red, and I think that helps with night vision more than anything.

So the other night, I was back on amazon, and on a whim, I bought one of these (Imolant M3, $129):

61oexfKZjHL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Holy mother of god is this tiny little flashlight BRIGHT!!! Like, too bright for much...last night I compared it to a cigarette lighter plugged spotlight, and this thing is actually brighter! You can't tell from the picture, but its nearly the same size as the pen light above! I don't know how long the tiny rechargeable battery lasts, but it gets REALLY hot when on the bright setting. Probably a bit dangerous to leave a flashlight like this around, as setting it down could start a fire...you can't leave you hand in front of it...after about 5 seconds, one foot in front of it, the heat gets uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I have one similar to the one on the bottom with red, green, and white lenses, plus a flash mode. I also have two head lamps with red, white, and flash. One clips to the bill of my cap, and the other has an elastic band.

They come in handy when I'm taking sunrise pictures in the middle of nowhere. I usually get there way too early and have to traipse through the woods and set up my drone in the dark.

I also have flashing red armbands for safety. They're more useful for the side of the road, although I rarely have a reason to be there when it's dark.

Back