Fly with a Common Cold?

MBDiagMan

I did a search, but couldn't find anything.

I am a student pilot with a taildragger and I am ALMOST ready to solo. Coincidently my instructor and myself BOTH had colonoscopies, his Thursday, mine Friday. Fortunately both of us came through with no problems whatsoever. The doctor told me not to fly or drive for 24 hours.

Just before we stopped flying for these procedures I had really gotten the hang of flying a tailwheel airplane. The only reason he didn't solo me in our last session was that the air was starting to get super rough.

At the hospital Friday I picked up what appears to be a common cold, sneezing, sore throat, runny nose. I immediately started taking Zicam and it is somewhat under control.

So the question, since I am about to solo, should I fly and solo while experiencing the symptoms of a common cold? We won't be going over 1,000' AGL and I don't think I will have popping ears.

Thanks for any advice on the subject.

Doc (obviously not an MD, this is only a nick name)

This may be your first command decision - your call, but best you don't establish a precedent for future ones that you may live (if you are lucky) to regret.

Back