Flying after a DUI

squirrels

I know I am probably going to get a lot of negative comments and things like that, but any honest advice will be greatly appreciated. I am currently 19 years old, I turn 20 in June. A few days ago I was arrested(not yet convicted, haven't been to court yet) for a super extreme DUI in Arizona. I am getting a lawyer to help with the situation.

I have always loved flying and after college was considering pursuing a career in flying. I was really just wondering how this would affect my chances of flying for a regional airline, possibly a major airline, or flying on the corporate side of things. If you have any advice of where I could get more help, tips on how to handle the situation, or things I can do to make the best out of things, please let me know. I'm currently attending Arizona State University on a scholarship with chemical engineering as my intended major but am considering changing it to something more aviation related. In high school I was in flight school for long enough to complete my first solo flight, but never received my license.

I know I really ****ed up, but am just looking for advice right now. Like I said honest opinions will be greatly appreciated. This situation scared me and I will definitely be working hard in the future to make the best out of the situation.

Advice for the OP. Do get a lawyer, plead guilty and try to get the lesser charges. That should be your main concern right now - minimize the jail time.

Thank your lucky stars you didn’t kill or injure yourself or others.

You likely will need to report this to the FAA, as noted. And with complete abstinence, enough money and time in the HIMS program, and a lifetime of monitoring, you probably can go on to be a pilot.

Many people make very bad mistakes when young and drinking. I wish you the best on your road to recovery and forgiveness. You still have a long life ahead of you and will put this behind you.

Lindberg said:
It's fairly irresponsible to suggest he plead guilty without knowing all the evidence against him, but yes, he needs a good lawyer.
Well he certainly should only do so with a lawyer. But if the evidence is as he has stated with a BAC over 0.20, I think the best he can do is make it easy for the prosecutor by taking a plea bargain.

Also, in AZ, due to some very squirrelly laws, they can charge him with like 4 separate offenses on this. Driving while impaired to the least degree, driving over 0.08, driving over 0.15, and driving over 0.20 and convict him on all of them. Seems like double jeopardy to me, but that is the way they do it in AZ and it has never been taken to the SCOTUS.

Back