Full Flap Full Power Stall

skubasteve

Hi folks, great forum, glad to be here, my first post.

I received my PPL in December-2014 with ~70 hours (~50 hours with CFI). My 2 primary instructors (@ KAPA & KGJT) were good and C-172 was my ride of choice. Other than a 5 month delay getting my 3rd Class medical, during which I continued flying (hence the high training hours), all went very well until one part part of my check ride.

In cold air and perfect conditions my check ride demise was a Full Flap Full Power Stall Recovery. I won't go into all the gory details but suffice to say after 2 check rides I'm no better at this and I now have a s-o-l-i-d respect for altitude, stall awareness, coordinated flight and spin mitigation. I was trained on the ground and in-flight on Takeoff Stalls by both CFIs. I recognized and respected stalls for their uncoordinated flight and spin potential, serious stuff. At KAPA there's rarely calm air so I had some stall experience in less than perfect conditions.

Is the Full Flap "go around stall" or "elevator trim stall" intended to be taught and/or tested in-flight for PPT? I reviewed the PTS, AIM, AFH, PHAK and searched here and the net but can't find specifics for a requirement to teach or demonstrate the Full Flap Takeoff Stall in-flight. Were my CFIs right not to teach this stall (too risky)? Was it appropriate for the CPE to test this stall (untrained student)? I'm not saying this isn't a good thing to be proficient in, but if it's going to be tested it should be taught.

Anyhow I'm flying without training wheels now, still a greenhorn and still studying/practicing.

Thanks for any insights.

RoscoeT said:
Someone should easily be able to video an actual hands-off trim stall.
I had wanted to run a slightly related exercise (engine out on takeoff - will it stall if the pilot doesn't push down elevator, or will it stay near trim speed on its own) a couple months ago, but work deadlines, weather, and holidays have conspired to keep me grounded. If only I knew someone else who was a pilot with access to a plane and a video recorder, but that's a mighty rare combination, and I don't know where such critters exist. :wink2:

Fortunately some good weather in the forecast this week in my neck of the pacific northwet, though another work deadline needs to be crossed first. Sigh. I'll shoot for a try on Friday.

I think a video with clear view of the yoke, throttle, airspeed, altimeter, and artificial horizon would provide all the needed information. View out the windows would be less valuable I think. That seem reasonable? I'd have access to a C-152 or C-172.

Back