Fuller: Focus on training can help GA...

"One of the things is to better understand how to help people successfully get through training," said Craig Fuller, president of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association. Fuller cited a recent AOPA study that found 80% of flight students dropped out after starting training.

http://www.ainonline.com/airshow-co...n-general-aviation-reverse-its-decline-28804/

I personally disagree.

The assumption that everyone can become a pilot is just wrong.

It takes a lot of determination and perseverance, discipline, skill, money...and a bit of courage (remember your first solo cross-country ?).

Some folks try their best to convince us that becoming a pilot is no big deal and that everybody can do it...

I don't want to glorify pilots (enough movies did that pretty well) - but I think the AOPA should not endorse that kind of statements...

zaitcev said:
What is hard about flying? The hardest part is money required.
You must have wads of free time, too. I set out in earnest in June of last year - first to get the written out of the way (using Gleim's computer-generated endorsement) then secured a CFI by August. Although I'm self-employed and can adjust my work schedule to make time for flying lessons, six months later I'm only now nearing the final stages for the examination. I expect another month for that to happen - weather, weather, and weather have continued to impede progress.

I also happen to disagree that nothing about flying is hard. That's not relevant - it's the learning that is hard! Based on the posts here, I can only assume that I rank among the inept. Yes, it is not difficult to fly - once one has learned how.

I think anyone claiming that it is "easy" to fly has to explain just why 75% to 80% of accidents are pilot error even after all the training - and why there are roughly 10 times as many accidents per hour in small airplanes as in automobiles. I think it is disingenuous to suggest or claim that flying is "easy" in any honest sense of the word.

Trapper John said:
I think there are a lot of CFIs that must not be giving much instruction at all, since there are almost more CFIs than there are student pilots.
An astounding 94,000 CFIs:

http://www.faa.gov/data_research/aviation_data_statistics/civil_airmen_statistics/2009/

With only about 613,000 active pilots and 1/3 of that number being private pilots that probably aren't getting much instruction beyond a flight review every other year, there probably aren't a whole lot of instructing hours to go around.
If each of the annual 72,000 students gets maybe 20 hours dual (taking into account "drop outs",) that is ~1.44 M hours there. Add in ~210,000 hours for BFRs (~2 hrs every 2 years) that is ~1.65 M hours/year/94k CFIs, or ~17.5 billable hours/year/CFI. I suspect a single CFI needs 50 times that number to make a living of it.

Clearly there are either a lot of unemployed CFIs or many of the certificates holders never had or have any intention of instructing. With all that competition I would have expected the cream to rise to the top. My very local and limited experience is that it appears to have.

Back