Getting Rusty equals Flight Sim?

Hello,

I haven't flown much if at all as PIC in what seems like decades. I almost flew a very important passenger yesterday and because I wanted to be "safe" (last flight was on October 29) - I decided to rent the little cheap 152 and do 3 landings after work one night last week. This would get me night current, let me know if I could still fly a plane, and also this would be my first "solo flight."

Reading all the "rusty" stories I was nervous since I had not flown in forever, and then the weather changed from "clear below 12,000" on the AWOS to some clouds at 300 feet. I forget if it was few clouds, broken, or scattered, but it did not say "ceiling". I looked around and could see everything (it was 10pm). I could clearly see many objects that were miles away, in all directions, and I could see all the stars in the sky. I continued to monitor the AWOS during my three landings and it changed back to calm winds, viz above 10 miles, clear below 12,000 etc so that must have just been one cloud passing by.

I was happy with my landings (very very soft but I guess that is because of the no wind thing) but disappointed in everything else including approach straightness, etc... There was nobody there to impress and so I got everything done by spending only $52.00 with 0.5 hobbs which is an awesome thing, it means I can afford to do this about once per month (hopefully in the daytime though). Boring, but at least I'm flying.

I have been meaning to try a simulator but I just don't know. I *think* it won't let me practice lots of things like:

go / no go decisions

Weather (planning) - or does it?

How to talk to ATC

Cross country planning

VOR use

etc.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe it does all of those things. Now that I have a new laptop I was wondering how cheaply I can do a home setup. Do I need a joystick etc or can I just try the software for free? I fly an old 152 and an old 172 so the simulator that has those would be what I want to get.

Any suggestions?

The passenger and I ended up at the airport yesterday but conditions were RAPIDLY deteriorating right before our eyes, and ceilings went to below TPA within a few hours (I kept calling the AWOS even after we left). I showed him the planes, he met some pilots, we made the most of it, but I was bummed. Might fly again with my Dad on Friday (who knows, weather looks bad again).

I am worried about losing a lot of my skills. I think I should pay for (yes with my old instructor who is a "good" CFI) a lesson where we do the PTS stuff again so I can solo and do it on my own. Being / feeling rusty sucks.

Kimberly

kimberlyanne546 said:
Wow thanks for the link, that is still several hundred dollars, but with a yoke and rudder pedals, it might feel more "real" I guess.

Do any of these programs work with just a keyboard so you can try them out first? Or do you have to just jump in and get the whole thing including a joystick etc? Too bad I don't know anyone around here who has one (in their house) so I can see what all the buzz is about.

As old fashioned as it sounds, I'd rather fly a real airplane!
The Microsoft Flight Simulators ("X" and 2004) should both work using just a keyoard. But you'll want a joystick - an inexpensive model should do.

I have the CH Products yoke and rudder pedals. While they are a definite improvement over a joystick, it is a matter of taste and budget on whether they are worthwhile. My guess is that they are something you could defer till much later.

It is easy to keep adding gadgets to your computer to increase the realism; for example there is the TrackIR system (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/) that is designed to make it easy to turn your head slightly to see out side windows using "naturally instinctive" head movements. I've used the product and it does work (though it takes some getting used to.)

It is possible to spend hundreds of dollars on building a nice flight simulator setup that will help you keep current on normal and emergency flight procedures.

For an investment of the equivalent of 4 or 5 hours of real flight time you could have a nice flight simlator environment that could be used for dozens or hundreds of hours of simulated training.

But for stick and rudder skills, the real thing does a better job. For ingraining procedures for emergencies, the simulator is probably superior.

denverpilot said:
Kim, any soaring going on anywhere near you? (Tony will be along shortly with a recommendation I bet...)
The SSA has an interactive map showing most of the soaring clubs and outfits in the U.S.:

http://www.ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

Going from a single engine land pilot rating and adding a glider rating is much easier than going the other way. But even so, she would need to get a glider rating for it to be economical because otherwise she would always need a CFIG along for every flight, and that cost can add up.

Frankly, sometimes I think it is best to counsel an exercise in fiscal discipline and temporarily cease expenditures on such an expensive hobby.

Back