Gotta have Useful Load

OkieFlyer

I've heard more than one pilot say that a Cessna 182 will haul anything you can fit inside it. Obviously that's an imbellishment, but will they safely fly a little overwight? The reason I ask is because I'm in need of a plane with a 1200 lb useful load, with plenty of leg room in the back, for less than 50K. The 182N has a great useful load at around 1300 lb, but the few that I've come across are too pricey. There are lots of earlier 182s on the market in my price range, but the useful loads aren't as good. Basically, I need to haul 850 lbs of people, some luggage, and enough gas for 2.5 to 3 hrs with reserves. I've learned that we large people are sure limited when it comes to airplanes. Any suggestions?

I'm in need of a plane with a 1200 lb useful load, with plenty of leg room in the back, for less than 50K. [...] Basically, I need to haul 850 lbs of people, some luggage, and enough gas for 2.5 to 3 hrs with reserves.
At the moment there is a 1993 Velocity SE on aso.com with an asking price of $47k. Useful load is "only" 1000 lbs, but at 180 mph @ 9 GPH, maybe the efficiency may be worth a look? Besides - it's much newer and prettier than the doddering Cessnas models being recommended!

I'm in need of a plane with a 1200 lb useful load, with plenty of leg room in the back, for less than 50K. [...] Basically, I need to haul 850 lbs of people, some luggage, and enough gas for 2.5 to 3 hrs with reserves.
Give one of those four people $10,000 so they can earn their own pilot certificate.

With the remaining $40,000, go out and buy two Piper Colts, Pacers, or Tri-Pacers or combination thereof. In theory you have met or exceeded all your requirements within budget. :wink2:

OkieFlyer said:
Well Jim, I guess you're right. Although, if one of the others had their license, they could get their own dang plane. :D
For sure - but consider that you've basically posed a problem that inherently involves you subsidizing the asset cost for the required excess load. I'm just making the assumption more explicit.

(I'm assuming none of these family or friends was originally going to kick in money for the airplane purchase.)

OkieFlyer said:
Asking prices are higher than 50K, but it might be close enough for me. Surely I can talk them down a little as well.
Offering $50k (or less) when the asking price is ~$55k is perfectly reasonable - and I imagine should eventually net you a plane in your budget range.

flyersfan31 said:
If you don't have the wherewithall to handle, say, a $7500 crank AD, or a $20k rudder repair because some jackwagon in a helo decided to swim up the ramp, well, you really need to think long and hard about your budget.
Useless hypotheticals. Some hypothetical costs, like the rudder wind damage one suggested, may likely be covered by hull insurance. You may as well have pointed out that the "simple" act of piloting a personal airplane is 10+ times more dangerous than driving a car, so if he hasn't the wherewithall to face kicking the bucket (and his family with him) while flying, he needs to think long and hard about flying - never mind the costs of owning an airplane.

OkieFlyer said:
I'm still trying to figure out just how much to budget for each type of plane.
Have you worked out how much you are willing to spend per month on aviating, then worked backward from that?

(In some past issue of either the EAA or AOPA magazine I believe there was a stat published on how much the average pilot spent per month on their aviation addiction - I seem to recall it was on the order of ~$1000/month.)

Back