Hand held appliance voltages

Tom-D

replacing the cig lighter fuse, what are the typical voltage draws of the stuff you plug in?

it had a 10 amp in it, and I don't believe we need that much any more.

weirdjim said:
Jeezuuz krist ... the meter will read OL at that point. WHy don't you go back to Electronics 101 and take better notes?

Jim
Why the abusive and arrogant response? Bad day at the office?
As far as I can tell he was trying to be helpful, much like you are. A simple correction is called for; the rest probably means you're having bad hair day.

Perhaps a fuse blew in Tom's multimeter; not enough info to rule that out. He didn't say whether the Bose headset or GPS unit had indications they were actually drawing power with the ammeter in series vs not.

As it stands, according to his report the appliances he experimented on draw no measurable current yet appear to run.

Tom-D said:
I tried a test today to see what the actual amp draw was with both my Bose head sets and the GPS connected to the bus.
I could not see any wiggle in the needle of my meter, with them on or off. The circuit will be connected to a 5 amp circuit breaker that has a 2 amp load from a different device.
weirdjim said:
I didn't see a picture of Tom's meter, so how you can assume (and I'm sure you understand the etymology of that word) that it is an analog meter is beyond me.
The nature of his multimeter is provided by a close reading of post 48, quoted above, where he states "wiggle in the needle of my meter."

Tom-D said:
It work fine today.
Do you really think I don't know when a meter isn't working?
My multimeter probably has leads older than you.
It is standard operating procedure in remote diagnostics to include checks for operator error. It isn't intended to be personal (well, not for most, though on this forum there are exceptions.) Just the nature of troubleshooting.

As to what you know - I doubt most here know anything about your level of expertise in electronics. When handling technical support it seems that assuming novice level is often better than assuming expert level. Again, nothing personal.

As an aside, I presume that the GPS you tested has a manual or spec sheet somewhere on line that lists typical current draw that you could have cross-checked your meter readings with.

Back