Hello and a few questions.

PACoalMiner

Hello and good afternoon.

Names Brian from the SW pa area. Coal miner and i just spoke to a flight instructor about getting my light sport license. My step dad had a 46' PA-12 when i lived in Oregon and i fell in love with flying. Wasn't until now i could afford a plane so I've been looking for a Cessna 140 pretty hard.

The questions i have...

I understand the qualifications for getting license as my instructor was pretty in tune and upfront with everything i am going to need. WHAT I DIDNT ASK WAS THE FOLLOWING..

I recently bought 8 acres of land i plan to clear. Is there an FAA regulation on where i can and cant land? I know several of my family friends have large ranches out west and i always wondered what you had to have to be able to land on your own property?

Im hoping so because i plan on dozing alot of it to level and clear it.. Its either gonna be a landing strip or ill make a pond and fill it with bass Hahahaha!!!

Also in looking at cessna 140's what should i look for.. Good and bad?

Im new to all this so any info would be highly appreciated...Thanks for your time and consideration.. Im looking forward to learning as much as i can here.. I know ive got a lot to learn..

thanks again..

-Brian

Hello and good afternoon.
Welcome to PoA.

Names Brian from the SW pa area. Coal miner and i just spoke to a flight instructor about getting my light sport license. My step dad had a 46' PA-12 when i lived in Oregon and i fell in love with flying. Wasn't until now i could afford a plane so I've been looking for a Cessna 140 pretty hard.
I don't believe any Cessna 140s can ever qualify as LSA. Just a bit too heavy.

I recently bought 8 acres of land i plan to clear. Is there an FAA regulation on where i can and cant land? I know several of my family friends have large ranches out west and i always wondered what you had to have to be able to land on your own property?
I don't know of any FAA regulations that would affect your private airfield. Though they'd like if you registered your airfield with them. If it is indeed rural, then you'll need to check what county and state laws and regulations, if any, govern private airfields like yours.

What is the geometry of the 8 acres? Height of trees that aren't on your property that are on any planned approaches would dictate what is possible.

Im hoping so because i plan on dozing alot of it to level and clear it.. Its either gonna be a landing strip or ill make a pond and fill it with bass Hahahaha!!!
The fishing would be the cheaper hobby for sure.

PACoalMiner said:
thanks.. i was just looking at those.

Question..Would you buy that over a PA-12?
The asking prices for PA-12s is much higher than the asking prices for Aeronca Chiefs because they are used for different missions.

PACoalMiner said:
Funny i see people putting viking engines into them. LOL that's a Honda engine..
Good news for the ex honda Mechanic.

anyone heard bad things about those engines?
The Viking is built around the Honda Fit engine block. I know there are a fair number of aircraft (airplanes and rotorcraft) that are flying with that engine. None that I know of have run into engine problems yet. It looks to be a very nice capable engine. Practically a work of art.

The owner of Viking Aircraft Engines, Jan Eggenfellner, has acquired a number of critics (unsatisfied customers) back when he sold Subaru conversions. There appears to be a lot of long-lasting bad blood on both sides.

Back