Hollywood Sightseeing Flight Goes Wrong...

FlyingMonkey

The forward baggage door popped open on a recent sightseeing flight over Hollywood. Hope this video is a useful reminder of the power of a good preflight!

Eric

Groundpounder said:
Interesting, I've gone on many a solo sightseeing trip.
Maybe it depends on the quality of the sights to see nearby? In Arizona we are blessed with a lot scenic areas that are great to view from the air.

Larry Vrooman said:
I'm hoping the OP realizes he needs to not just ensure all the latches on his Cherokee Six door engage, but also that the baggage door is not just latched but also locked. And in the bigger picture that he needs to be very cognizant of the need to recognize potential failure points and pay more attention to those
We can all choose to either take ownership and positive control of the events that lead up to accidents and incidents and prevent them, or we can continue to just let stuff happen. It's our choice. Choose wisely.
Is closing and latching the passenger door part of the checklist in this plane? Is closing and locking the baggage door part of the checklist in this plane?

If so, I think I see Larry’s point as a failure of checklist discipline. Don’t remember if it was mentioned as such in the video. And a failure of checklist discipline can be fatal in aviation. That might account for some of the strong feelings expressed (perhaps not kindly enough).

If they are not part of the checklists, perhaps they should be?

Back