How can this happen?

N521MA

Okay, you can ***** slap me later, but I still want a legit explanation, not just "things happen".

Per NTSB reports, there are ton of people that have unfortunate flights and leave our world, hopefully for a better place; I can understand that and it does happen everyday for whatever the reasons are. What I am personally struggling with is to understand how this stuff happens to a CFI(I) with ton of other ratings and most importantly I am talking specifically a person that doesn't just have multiple ratings and flies occasionally, but actually flies for 8 to 12 hours almost everyday. Furthermore, we are not going into HP planes or covering IMC condition - simple daily trainers like Warriors and 172s at CAVU conditions, no students on flight, CFI flying solo and still manages to get wiped out.

How is this even possible? What chance does the rest of our community have? I don't want to sound paranoid or scared, which I am in a way, but at the same time I am very active when it comes to activity. I do extreme skiing, ride all kinds of Motorcycles, drive insanely fast cars but also very focused on controlling and managing my risk as I am not suicidal and prefer to see another day ;)

button line, when I get on the motorcycle - I know there are two types of riders 1. Those that have been down 2. Those that will go down. I happen to joined the #1 crowd few times already and trust me its no fun to be put back together... But we're talking motorcycles .... it is something I expect and knew this will happen sooner or later. Now... When I see CFII crash and burn because he flew into terrain (of every kind) - what chance do we, as weekend warrior have to see another day??? Yes I know CFII are not Gods and human too that do make errors as all of us, but given their experience and mine, for example, from a risk factor prospective I should not be even on a ramp standing next to an airplane, forget flying it ....

Perhaps there is no explanation. We do what we love and pray to God that he lets us do it once more. Perhaps you have a different opinion.

Okay, you can ***** slap me later, but I still want a legit explanation, not just "things happen".
Since you are asking the general public, I am more than happy to try to explain, but cannot do so until you provide specific details about the accident event or events that concern you.

Otherwise your vague angst about bad things happening to allegedly experienced pilots deserves an equally vague "things happen" response.

dmspilot said:
How can what happen? We're not mind readers. Which accident are you talking about?
That is what I asked in post 11.
OP wants a non-vague answer to a vague question.

Becky said:
Some say we must always have some fear when we fly, that it keeps us safer. For me, the fear is not counterbalanced by enjoyment.
I too have seen the claim that fear is a safety enhancer - and has been applied to many endeavors. Some have said we must always have some fear when we go boating, swimming, driving, and so on because it keeps us safer.

I say fear is a danger itself and pointless (and kills the joy in the endeavor.) I suspect that some who promote "fear" are really intending to promote a clinical (emotionless) application of cautionary actions. That is the mental attitude I strive for.

N521MA said:
For those that wanted to see actual reports to justify my vague question:

Over 6000 hours
Pilatus
Ratings

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20130116X83524&key=1
Mechanical failure of some sort a few minutes after takeoff seems most likely. Normal heading would be about 047 magnetic and impact site is reported 5 miles in that direction from takeoff airport (just past town of Burlington, if I understand the report); heading at impact was about 140. So the pilot appears to have turned to the right before impact; perhaps attempting a turn back. IMC conditions. The few clues reported so far suggest a case of bad luck rather than an experienced pilot screwing up. There are some times when all the experience in the world will do you no good, and the above accident appears to be one of them.

rbridges said:
that's why you shouldn't be allowed to take a bath without a class III medical.
If you take a sport shower instead of a private bath you only need a driver's license.

The down side is there is no place to float a rubber duck in a shower.

Back