How to Not Quit?

SkyChaser

I am so frustrated right now. I am so close to being done. All I have left for requirements are the 100nm night flight and the three hours checkride prep.

The thing is, realistically, I know I've got a lot longer and that's depressing. I was readier for the checkride three months ago than I am now. I have flown three times in the last five weeks. Two of those times were at night. I have logged a total of 6 day landings since mid-October, so I know I'll need to spend a decent amount of time getting those back up to snuff. But I can't get any time in the plane and it's driving me crazy. It's too windy or the clouds are too low or something. Always something. The long night flight I have rescheduled seven times due to weather, and now it's just not scheduled. The weather was awesome for it last night for the first time in forever, but my instructor decided (after I'd left for my trip) that she didn't want to do dual with anyone who'd traveled until they'd been home two weeks. I think it's stupid, but whatever. We were going to just schedule the checkride and figure out the night flight somehow, but the examiner my instructor would prefer to use is an airline guy, and he hasn't put up his availability for December yet, even though it's sorta December already.

I decided that checkride be damned, I'd just make my instructor update my endorsements every couple of months for the rest of my life instead, so I tried to go down to fly solo and beat up the pattern today, but my slot got pushed further into the afternoon and then it was too windy for my solo limitations. I've had about four times as many canceled flights as I've actually gotten to fly the last three months, and I guess I've just run out of optimism that I'll ever get to get this done. How do I get myself back in the game? I've been trying so hard to just keep going, ignoring all the delays and frustrations, studying and prepping for the oral part while I wait, but in the last week especially, I don't have any motivation and I'm not sure that I even know any more why I started flying in the first place if it is so maddening. Could someone please give me a good whack on the side of the head and tell me to stop having a pity party and get back with it?! Thanks.

Type47 said:
I am in Austin (Kaum). How close is that to you?
Alway remember that the goal is to fly.
Flying before your test ride is flying.
Enjoy every minute you are in control of a plane.
I think this is key. If you enjoy flying, fly. Doesn’t really matter if you have the certificate yet.

I had some similar experiences with maintenance and airport closure issues that delayed my private substantially. I got repeated cross country to airport endorsements and also started flying around looking at airports and the geography of the nearby areas from a unique perspective.

This year particularly has more than it’s normal share of challenges. So as others have mentioned, find other things and training in the meantime and enjoy the journey.

Back