If you plan to fly a Cirrus should you train in a Cirrus?

XSi

Hello !!! First post here. I would like to introduce my self and ask the question in the subject.

I am in my forties, I live in the northeast and I decided now is the time to complete a dream of mine and learn to fly. After PPL, my plan is to take the family for trips around the area. Eventually, I would like to rent at different areas in the county and discover places flying.

With the COVID-19 lockdown, and after reading recommendations in a lot of forums, I decided to spent my time studying for the written test before I start any flying lessons. Two weeks ago I took the test and passed. Medical exam is next week just to get it out of the way as well. And then, the search for the right school/club starts (actually it has already started)

With zero flying experience and just by researching, eventually, after PPL, I will rent and fly a Cirrus. There are a few reasons why a Cirrus, but the major one is CAPS. I understand that CAPS is not the end-all in safety and I am reading about the flaws etc but it is important to me, especially when my family is onboard.

With all that said, a few thoughts and concerns I have:

--- With the thinking above, I am trying to decide if it is worth it to pay the extra money and learn to fly in a Cirrus (and all the technology etc that comes with it) or if I will be better off learn in a Piper and save the money. Based on some research in my area, the total cost (rent, instructor etc) for training in a Piper will end up being around $15K. Training in a Cirrus SR20 (2017 G6), in a Cirrus Certified Training Partner facility, total cost will be around $22K (in both cases the estimation is for about 60 hours. I understand it might be more or less). As a side note, I budgeted for the large amount.

--- Mostly for safety reasons, eventually (but not right away), I will also get IFR rating.

--- Obviously, becoming a good and safe pilot is the number one priority. I do have concerns that by learning in a Cirrus I will rely more on technology, automation etc. I am reading that learning to fly with a 6-pack will serve you better in the long run (since you don't have to rely on technology during the training) but that is debatable. It is a concern of mine though.

--- I am hoping that by training in a Cirrus, and in a Cirrus Certified Training Partner, I will not have to do the Cirrus Transition Training and save some money there. Anyone knows if this is a correct assumption?

--- Also, I am hoping that by training in a 215HP aircraft, I will not have to deal with High Performance training/endorsement/rating etc and save some money there as well.

--- Finally, maybe stupid thought is, after PPL, if I rent a faster airplane (more expensive to rent) and I get to my destination faster, I will end up spending a similar amount of money with renting a slower airplane (less expensive) and getting to my destination later. If not similar, the difference will not be that much. Probably I am wrong on this but it is a thought.

In any case, these are my thoughts as I am starting my journey.

PilotsOfAmerica forum has been a tremendous resource during my research. So... Thank you all !!!

I very much liked just owning my own plane for training. No hassles with the schedule. And a lot of freedom to fly when you like once post-solo.

I also tend to think that learning to fly taildraggers or gliders first provides very good training in the fundamentals of flying and use of the rudder.

These planes are much cheaper to purchase than a Cirrus to start with as well.

Back