I'm confused

Ken Ballenger

I'm confused and would appreciate some clarification. I got my PPL back in 1969 but didn't fly much after that (family, career, etc). A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to resume flying after my retirement and discovered light sport aviation. I got light sport certified but then decided that I wanted to get back into general aviation. I went in for my third class medical not knowing that my 14-year history of taking an SSRI was going to be a problem. I went off the medication for the required 60 days and forwarded to the FAA statements from my primary care physician that I had a good prognosis. The FAA wrote me back and said I still needed to obtain a psychiatric evaluation, but when I realized how expensive and exhaustive the process was going to a be, I wrote them a letter and told them I was not going to do it. They wrote me back and said as a result of my failure to provide the required medical information they had no alternative except to deny my application for medical certification. My question is this: since I still possess a valid private pilot's license and a valid driver's license why can I not go back to flying light sport aircraft? FAR 61.23ciii seems to state that I can fly light sport aircraft if I have not had my most recently issued medical certificate suspended or revoked. My medical certificate was never issued; it was only denied because I refused to continue the process required by the FAA. I would appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thanks

Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) said:
You can get the 3rd class issued. Might be costly. Up to you whether it’s worth it to be in the air. As someone said, gliders remain an option (maybe even motorgliders).
Real pity about having made the application without doing the consult first to know it would lock you out of the 3rd class. No reasonable person would anticipate this type of snafu a priori.

Cost to get the third class probably between $5-10k and 6 months to 1.5 year wait.

Strikes me it is worth a consult with one of the experts here, Dr. Chien or Dr. Fowler. Find out what the situation is in your particular case and then make a decision. The consult will not be to expensive and then you will know.

dbahn said:
Good advice, but always better to have explored options before applying for the recent medical.
Yes, best to get a consult first. Neither of these Drs. will submit an application unless they are very certain it will be issued.

Back