Initial Call up

dnhill

I chose a N number for my PiperSport that is 62PP. I thought it would be nice that there were only 4 numbers or letters - less to say. However, almost every time I make an initial call to ATC, they come back with 462PP. It is always a 4 that is added. I just assume they are looking for a call sign with five numbers or letters. Most of the time I correct them. There is no aircraft with the N number of 462PP registered. Tried different ways/inflections and still almost always the 4 is put in the N number.

I suppose moral of the story is, if you are thinking of a short N number for your next plane, just know that it does the opposite of saving time.

Add to that, the PiperSport type is "CRUZ" and that really gets them confused.

Everskyward said:
What are you saying exactly? If you are saying "PiperSport 62PP" it could easily be heard as "Piper 462PP", especially since there are not many PiperSports around compared to Pipers.
Assuming that is what he is saying, you may be right: could be mental expectations are causing the "sp" fricative on "sport" getting interpreted as the "f" fricative and the "t" fricative getting dropped.

Back