Interesting Op-ed

Everskyward

Who do you think wrote this and when?

For me, aviation has value only to the extent that it contributes to the quality of the human life it serves. Research in fields of supersonic flight is, obviously, of great importance and should continue, but my personal conclusion is that the regular operation of SSTs in their present state of development will be disadvantageous both to aviation and to the peoples of the world. I believe we should prohibit their scheduled operation on or above United States territory as long as their effect on our overall environment remains unsatisfactory.
Answer is here.

Bob Noel said:
What I object to is the apparent claim that the value of aviation is only about economics and such. Perhaps I misread the writer's intent. However, his point would have been made had he not included "For me, aviation has value only to the extent that it contributes to the quality of the human life it serves."
I'm of the opinion that you may be misreading his intent by imputing a meaning not explicit in that particular quote. There are attributes of aviation beyond "economics and such" that "contribute to the quality of human life."

The quote states a general philosophy which seems to me quite reasonable, and the remainder of the article an application to a specific case: that in no way could a nationally subsidized SST ever provide a direct net quality-of-life benefit to everyone who would be forced to pay into it (or who might suffer from its use.)

Back