Issues with Medical

Becca Steele

Hoping to get some advice from someone who knows or someone has been through this process in the past. I recently put getting my pilots license on the back burner, after finding out I’m most likely going to have some serious hold ups with getting my 3rd class medical.

Long story short, my earliest memory as a child was being sexually abused. The abuse occurred over several years... from at least 5 years old until I was around 7 or 8. While this had some effect on my life and as weird as this may sound, I’ve always looked at my abuse as a way to help others deal with theirs... I’m a glass half full kinda girl and see it sorta like “if this didn’t happen to me, I how could I possibly relate or even begin to understand them”. In my mind, I’m not a victim, I’m a warrior.

My second and last child was born nearly 10 years ago and was our first and only girl. Once she was born, I started having flashbacks to my childhood abuse for the first time. I was first diagnosed with postpartum depression which ultimately, led to the diagnosis of PTSD. I was put on an antidepressant to help with the anxiety from the memories and because I felt better than I ever have, in my history of being able to remember, I’ve stayed on the same medication and same dose. I haven’t had a single issue with the PTSD over the past 5+ years.

After looking up my medications on the FAA website and finding that what I’m taking (Cymbalta) will result in me being grounded, I’m considering asking my doctor to switch me to one of the four approved medications. My thought process is that I’ll stay on the approved medication for the 90 days and then have my treating doctor write a letter, being that the medication is a good fit and I’m not having any issues, stating just that to accompany me to have my medical done.

But what about my PTSD diagnosis and history of anxiety? Will that be reason enough for me to be grounded, even if it hasn’t effected me in years (because of the medication)?

And if I end up getting referred to an FAA psychiatrist for approval, how does that work? I wouldn’t think it would be just one appointment, would it? What is that process like and how much is that going to cost me?

Please don’t get me wrong, I completely understand where the FAA is coming from with these guidelines. I guess overall, I’m just extremely frustrated about the likelihood of not being able to follow through with my dream of flying ultimately because I was repeatedly raped as a child.

Before I keep dishing out money for flight school and medical appointments, I would like to know what my odds are obtaining my 3rd class medical, if that makes sense? Thanks in advance for any advice and/or feedback on this matter!

Xo Becca

The FAA medical hoops will cost somewhere between $5k-$10k and take about 6-18 months, depending on what the forensic psychiatrist decides.

Back